| Michele Cacano-Green Licensed Massage Practitioner Seattle, Washington 206-852-5284|
What is massage?
Massage therapy is hands-on manipulation of the soft tissues of the body. A massage session may include stroking, kneading, compression, rocking, and friction and passive or active movement. Therapeutic massage is a non-invasive and enjoyable form of health, fitness, and general wellness therapy.
Many studies have been done over the last century to measure the effects of massage. Not only that, but various forms of massage date back thousands of years and have already had their mettle tested! Massage is known to have been in use in ancient Egypt, India, Asia, the Pacific Islands, Russia, Europe, and many aboriginal societies throughout the Americas.
Benefits of massage
Here are just a few of the things massage can do for you:
- Reduce stress and lower the risk of stress-related illnesses
- Lower heart rate and regulate blood pressure
- Improve circulation of blood, lymph, and energetic systems
- Improve flexibility and range of motion
- Promote healthy muscles and joints
- Support the immune system
- Preventatively decrease the risk and severity of injury
- Speed recovery time after an injury or surgery
Massage is also helpful in treating many conditions and chronic problems. Here are just a few of the things massage can help treat:
- Repetitive Stress Injuries such as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Tennis/Golfers Elbow
- Scar Tissue
- Injuries to Muscles, Joints, and Ligaments
- High Blood Pressure
- Frozen Shoulder/Rotator Cuff Injuries
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Functional scoliosis
- Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
"Trust that still, small voice that says, 'This might work, and I'll try it'."
-- Diane Mariechild, Theologian
|Copyright 2004 - 2007|
All Rights Reserved
Photo courtesy of American Massage Therapy Association ©2002